Skip to main content


Updated 7/31/2021

AB 104 Notifications:

On July 1, Gov. Gavin Newsom signed Assembly Bill 104 (Gonzalez), which led to the following statutory changes:

Pass / No Pass Grading

Eligible students may apply to change any course(s) grades to a Pass/No Pass mark on their transcript with no negative impact to their GPA. There is no limit to the number of courses taken during the 2020-2021 school year that students can apply to have changed to a Pass/No Pass mark.

If your child is interested in applying for a grade change to the Pass/No Pass marking, please complete the request by using the Grade Change Request Form and submit to your child’s school no later than December 17, 2021. No late applications will be accepted. 

Transcripts will be updated within 15 days from receipt of the application. You will be notified, via email, once the change has been made.

The California State Universities must accept the Pass/No Pass marks on transcripts without prejudice for any applicant enrolled in High School between 2020-21 and 2023-24.  Please find the complete list of post secondary institutions that have indicated to the California Department of Education that they will accept the Pass/No Pass marks linked.  Please be aware, however, that some post secondary institutions, including those from other states, may not accept a Pass/No Pass mark. 

Reduced Graduation Requirements

AB 104 provides that schools and districts must allow high school students who were in their third or fourth year of high school during the 2020-2021 school year, and who were not on track to graduate in four years, to be exempt from all of the LEA’s graduation requirements that exceed statewide requirements. (Ed. Code, § 51225, added by AB 104.) These students must still meet statewide coursework requirements to graduate and can be provided the opportunity to do so through completion of a fifth year of high school instruction, credit recovery, or some other manner.

Student retention

Eligible students: A student enrolled in kindergarten through 11th grade in 2020-21 who has received deficient grades for at least one-half of the student’s coursework in 2020-21.

“Deficient grade” is defined as receiving a D, F, a No Pass, or an equivalent as determined by the local educational agency.

The retention provisions of the bill do not apply to students who were in 12th grade in 2020-21.

Consultation meetings: An LEA, upon receiving a written request from a parent of an eligible student (see above) to retain their child for the 2021–22 school year, shall offer the parent a consultation with the parent, the student, an administrator and a teacher.

The consultation must occur within 30 calendar days of receiving the written request

Consultations must include:

  • Discussion of all available learning recovery options, including access to prior semester courses in which the pupil received a D or F letter grade, or some other form of credit recovery.
  • Consideration of the pupil’s academic data and any other information relevant to whether retention is in the pupil’s best interests, academically and socially.
  • Discussion about research on the effects of pupil retention and the types of interventions and supports that are beneficial to pupils.

Retention decision: LEAs have the ultimate authority of deciding whether or not to retain a student. LEAs must notify a parent of the final determination within 10 calendar days of the consultation.


AB 130 Notifications

Parents and guardians of enrolled pupils have the option to enroll their child in in-person instruction or independent study for the 2021-2022 school year. 


Parents and guardians have the right to request a pupil-parent-educator conference to ask questions before making the decision about enrollment or disenrollment in the various options for learning. The conference may be conducted by telephone, videoconference or in-person. If you wish to request a conference for your pupil, please contact the Principal of your pupil's school. 

Procedures for Enrolling, Disenrolling and Reenrolling in Independent Study 

If you are considering independent study, please let us know by August 3, 2021 so that we have accurate enrollment numbers when making class assignments and while planning for the new school year. 

To enroll in independent study for the 2021-2022 school year, there must be an agreement in place for each pupil. The agreement must be signed by the pupil’s parent, legal guardian, or caregiver. For pupils with exceptional needs, the pupil’s individualized education program (IEP) must specifically provide for independent study. IEP team meetings to consider requests for independent study will need to be held prior before the pupil can begin participating.

If you wish to have your pupil return to in-person instruction during the school year, you may provide notice to your pupil’s school, and your pupil will be returned to in-person instruction no later than five instructional days after we receive the notice. 

Pupils may re enroll in independent study at any time during the 2021-2022 school year by providing notice to the Principal of your pupil’s school.

Instructional Time that a Pupil Will Have Access to as Part of Independent Study 

For transitional kindergarten through 6th grade, there will be a plan to provide pupils opportunities for daily synchronous instruction. 

For grades 7-8, coursework will be completed via an online learning platform (Odysseyware) and pupils will be provided opportunities for both daily live interaction (in the form of daily check-ins and/or progress monitoring) and at least weekly synchronous instruction. 

For grades 9 through 12, coursework will be completed via an online learning platform (Odysseyware) and pupils will be provided opportunities for at least weekly synchronous instruction. 

Live interaction means interaction between the pupil and the teacher, aide or other personnel and may include peers; this interaction may be in person, by internet or phone. 

Synchronous instruction means classroom-style instruction, or small group, or one-on-one instruction delivered in person or by internet or phone and involving two-way communication between the pupil and teacher. 

If you are interested in independent study for your pupil or pupils, or wish to schedule a conference with staff, please contact the Principal of your pupil’s school.